Thursday, August 5, 2010

Underground Adventure

My Auntie 'H' and I ventured into into the Egyptian Underground in the afternoon to get across Cairo as fast as possible. The good thing is we made it, the bad thing is we nearly died. With your face stuffed in someone's armpit, and the rest of you jostled left and right by the masses of people getting on and off the carriage, it's difficult to form a coherent thought except counting down the stations till you get off. It's quite the experience. Yes, it may be uncomfortable, hectic, and downright unpleasant at times, but it's fun because it's so annoying. Do you understand how that feels?
The stupid ticket machince swallowed my ticket and didnt let me in twice, but I'd still do it all over again. Construction is underway for the yellow line. The pink and the green are already up and running. Auntie & I got on the pink like at Kubry Al-Oubba, then switched to the green at Mubarak, and finally got off at Road El Farag. We'd previously made the mistake of going to St. Theresa and then having to take the damn thing back to Road el Farag again with my mom, but this time we knew which way to go.It's inappropriate in arab culture for men and women to be stuffed shoulder to shoulder in one enclosed space, thus the presense of a ladies cart. Sometimes though if it's just one stop difference, or if she's with her brother/dad/cousin/boyfriend/husband or something it's OK for a lady to get on the men's cart. Let me tell you, I prefer the men's cart. Surprisingly, it smells a lot better than the womens cart.. -.-
How are you reader?

No comments:

Post a Comment